Huevos Habaneros (Part of a Cuban Breakfast)
— by Bernice Hill
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a medium skillet, heat the olive oil and sauté the sofrito: onion, pepper, garlic sautéed until the onion is soft and translucent – about 5 minutes.
3. Add the tomato sauce, pimentos, and wine.
4. Cook for about 10 to 15 minutes over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until thickened.
5. Lightly oil 4 small oven-proof ramekins or small bowls.
6. Spoon the sofrito into each one, filling it half-way. Make a bit of a well with a spoon.
7. Break an egg onto a plate and slide it into the sofrito well.
8. Drizzle the melted butter over the eggs.
For the Sofrito
2 tbsp. olive oil
1 sm. onion; finely diced
1 sm. red pepper; finely diced
3 cloves garlic; finely minced
1 c. tomato sauce
1 sm. jar pimientos; drained
3 tbsp. dry white wine
For the Eggs
4 large eggs
4 tbsp. butter; melted
Salt and Pepper; to taste
1 tbsp. parsley; finely chopped