Shrimp Salad Rolls
Shrimp Salad Rolls
- 1 package rice paper round rolls.
- 6-8 large shrimp; cooked and split in half
- 6-8 fresh Thai basil (mint) leaves
- 6 butter lettuce leaves
- ½ package vermicelli noodles; cooked to package direction and drained
- 1 cup fresh sprouts
- Spring onions
- 4 carrots or other root vegetable such as daikon.
Hoisin Peanut Butter Dipping Sauce
- ½ cup boiling water
- 4 tbsp smooth peanut butter
- 4 tbsp Hoisin Sauce
- 2 tbsp lime juice
1. For the carrots, peel them then cut into matchsticks. Place in a small bowl or jar with 2 teaspoons salt, 2 tablespoons white sugar, ¼ cup rice wine vinegar, 1 tablespoon lime juice, ¾ cup boiling water. Allow salt and sugar to dissolve. Let carrots pickle for at least an hour, preferably overnight and up to one week.
2. Prep all your ingredients BEFORE you start assembling your salad rolls.
3. To assemble salad rolls begin by filling a shallow tray with warm water. Carefully dip one rice paper round in the water until it is just softened. Focus on keeping the rice paper from crumpling or tearing and lay on a slightly moistened counter top or smooth surface.
4. Place shrimp halves and basil in a pattern on the lower half of the rice paper, then lay a lettuce leaf over top. Ensure there is enough rice paper peeking out so that you can fold it over the fresh fillings.
5. Place a small amount of vermicelli noodles, sprouts, pickled carrots and a spring onion over top the lettuce leaf.
6. Curl the bottom of the rice paper round over the lettuce leaf, tuck the sides over and roll in an upward direction until the entire rice paper round has been rolled over the fillings.
7. Place on a platter and repeat until the rest are rolled. If not eating immediately, cover tightly with cling wrap before refrigeration.
8. Serve with Hoisin Peanut Butter Dipping Sauce.
1. Add all ingredients to a bowl and mix well. Add chili saurce (or chili flakes) to taste.